(Counterpoint: The following is a guest editorial submitted by Barbara Carrasco. Occasionally, I will publish counterpoints submitted by readers to my blog. To be considered for a counterpoint, please send me your comments in an article fashion on topical topics that I am covering on my blog. As I have written many times before, we learn from the perspectives of others. Although I may not agree with someone’s perspective their opinion matters and should be considered in order to have a proper debate. Counterpoints may not necessarily represent the views of Martin Paredes and are published in their entirety as submitted by the author.)
Author: Barbara Carrasco
A Trump Presidency
Finally, the most contentious presidential campaign ever has come to an amazing end: The election of President-Elect Donald J. Trump.
Emotions ranging from overwhelming joy to deep heartfelt sadness were expressed and felt. Now it’s time to forge forward together. There is much work ahead for this presidency and the American people.
As I watched President-Elect Donald J. Trump walk on stage to accept our nomination, I noticed a change in demeanor and facial expression. It was apparent the full weight of his accomplishment had set in. He’s ready to serve the people. He’s ready to make his administration one “of the people, by the people and for the people”.
This election revealed that the road to the WH was not the shallow identity politics Clinton assumed it would be. She counted on Latinos and Blacks coming out in droves to vote for her. Latinos and Blacks were not mobilized to go vote for Clinton. She proved that Hollywood and all their talent and glitter could not sway voters to her side.
Latinos and Blacks proved that education, economy and jobs transcend party lines. Trump offered hope and they were willing to give him a chance! He reached out to both communities time and time again during this campaign. I am hopeful that Latinos and Blacks will no longer be one-issue voters or one-party voters whose vote can be taken for granted. The media would have us believe that Latinos hated Trump as did Blacks. This was untrue. Trump won a greater percentage of both groups than Mitt Romney.
I felt a sense of pride, relief, and a sense of accomplishment that I had done everything I could to make sure my children and grandchildren inherited a country better than the one I inherited from my parents and grandparents. I was overwhelmed when it was finally announced Donald J. Trump was the President Elect.
President-Elect Trump made many PROMISES to the American people during the campaign, which I expect him to keep.
- Trump will be PRESIDENT OF ALL AMERICANS and unite our country.
- He will appoint SUPREME COURT JUSTICES that will respect and uphold the Constitution. This is his first test as he must fill the current vacancy caused by the death of Justice Scalia.
- He promised to repeal and replace OBAMACARE which has proven to be a job killer and caused tremendous hardship on employers and the American family.
- He promised to undo all EXECUTIVE ORDERS that negatively impact American workers.
- He promised to implement POLITICAL REFORM to include term limits.
- He promised to renegotiate NAFTA and take TPP off the table.
- He promised to negotiate trade agreements and withdraw if they do not put the American worker first and are not a two-way street.
- He promised there will be CONSEQUENCES for companies that wish to leave our country, fire their workers, then expect to import their finished product.
- He promised for every new REGULATION he will take two off the books and he promised to reduce TAXES which will unleash the entrepreneurial spirit, allow companies to expand and create jobs all of which stimulate the economy.
- He promised to address the INNER CITIES’ decades’ long lack of educational choice, lack of jobs, REBUILD their communities and he promised to bring SAFETY and stop the lawlessness in their communities.
- He promised to take care of our VETERANS and make whatever changes necessary to improve the VA.
- He promised to DEPORT ILLEGAL CRIMINAL IMMIGRANTS immediately, defund SANCTUARY CITIES, REVAMP H1B VISA program, BUILD THE WALL to protect our sovereignty and he also promised to STREAMLINE THE IMMIGRATION PROCESS.
- He promised to “DRAIN THE SWAMP” and that starts by opening an investigation into HRC’s illegal server. PARDON is not an option. Second, he must request an internal review of the FBI, DOJ and the State Department to finally expose the truth and make such changes as necessary to eliminate the INCESTUOUS RELATIONSHIPS among these three agencies.
- He promised to temporarily ban immigration from TERRORIST countries until such time as the United States can conduct “extreme vetting.”
Whew! This is a list of a few promises President-Elect Trump made during his campaign which millions upon millions of us expect him to keep. Implementation of his promises as outlined will grow our economy, create jobs, will put money in the pockets of the American worker and who can be against pro-growth policies?