The True Cost of a Misguided Public Policy Agenda – El Paso News Organization

The True Cost of a Misguided Public Policy Agenda

1. unskilled, cheap and NYC Mexican hot sauce says:

Excellent points.

The other joke is the slogan, build and they will come. So they build and no one comes. Can’t we implement, create jobs and one ? After all don’t you need a job to pay bills and not rely on government benefits ? Which cost a great deal. We can’t continue to be the solution for the failures of other governments, especially that embrace socialism. Socialism which is now sold as being Progessive. Nor can we continue to be the solution for those that embrace corruption.

People, Progressive is not synonymous with promoting or making progress. Ask the people that have been forced to eat garbage and pets to survive.

The taxation agenda is destroying the region. The only income is taxes and no real wages or jobs ! The local solution ? Raise the minimum wage. So doesn’t it occur to anyone that someone has to replace a reduction in profits, the customers. What do we do when the higher minimum wage becomes the low wages ? It’s an endless circle. What keeps wages low, obviously cheap labor. So keep selling the region as a source of cheap labor. Which it really is because of the influx of people from other countries looking for work.

What we need is an educated work force to attract industry. The government, educators and businesses need to determine what skills are in demand. There’s nothing wrong with technical schools, not everyone is cut out to be a lawyer, etc.

We also need to accept that we are no longer a destination city. Juarez was the draw not us. So let’s develop a viable workforce and concentrate on our history and uniqueness. Looking like other cities is not being unique. Also we need to showcase that area was built by different groups not just Mexicans. That Sombrero museum is a joke ! Clean up and preserve Segundo Barrio, showcase the mountains, the missions, the food, etc.

There is so much more but I don’t want to dominate the topic, so I will leave it here.

• abandon hope says:

What you and Martin say is true and to the point. However, almost every time there is a bond issue before the voting public it passes. El Paso voters are easily swayed by the promises and sizzle used by bond promoters to sell their tax increases. The Quality of Life bonds passes several years ago in El Paso are an example. Yes, yes, yes. Everyone wants those things. But when it comes time to pay for them, which is now, all the city representatives have to say is “you voted for this.” Yes, city reps could have worked with the city manager to cut in other areas, but that didn’t happen and won’t ever happen because most city representative don’t have the backbone to make tough decisions.

2. Jerry K says:

I don’t know about the demographics of Orlando, but my experience traveling to that area a lot on business (granted this was in the early 90s) is that it was lots of retirees. And of course they vote to keep taxes low.

The one good thing I can say about El Paso is that it has a young demographic and I’ve been doing a lot of travel the past year to the Pacific Northwest and BC where I don’t see this. Plus, the educational attainment here has greatly improved in the past 20 years, so it’s not as bleak as Martin paints it. If only they would vote and get involved rather than leaving it to Vince and Claudia.

3. John Conwell says:

Another factor is that neither Florida nor Texas have an income tax… and the state sales tax is 6% with the highest being 7.5%, which I believe may actually be low.

4. tBusch says:

Last night I had a terrible nightmare. I woke up in a cold sweat gasping for air. I dreamed I lived in Florida.

5. Funsize EMT says:

The problem i see in the “young” logic, youngsters in el pago are not homeowners, they don’t pay a property tax. If course they want everything built on the tax payer dollar. As an EMT in El Paso, the most you’ll make is $9 and no benefits. I moved to central Texas, doubled my pay, my quality of life and my property tax is half of what i would pay in El Paso. I love my hometown, but, it needs to do more to keep good quality people there.